The story of the inaugural Tata Global Internships is the story of how the program rapidly responded to an unexpected crisis which took the world by storm – that of an internship program whilst in a global pandemic.
Early in March, preparations were being made by the program managers and several Tata companies to welcome sixteen students of the first cohort of the Tata Global Internships. The candidates were from The Sloan School of Business, MIT, Stephen M Ross School of Business, University of Michigan and Judge Business School, University of Cambridge and who, in turn, were preparing themselves for a two-month stint in India.
However, the global Covid-19 pandemic and the ensuing lockdowns and travel restrictions around the world posed several practical constraints. While there was never a question of reversing the commitment to stakeholders, there were practical questions on the successful execution of it. With the customary resilience and commitment that has been the hallmark of the Tata group, the internship swiftly morphed into a fully remote program with little disruption and added further value to it.
How We Did It
These are the key steps that the Tata Global Internship Program took to ensure that all commitments made to stakeholders were kept, and delivered on value, learning – and add a little bit of fun.
- All offers made this year were fulfilled without exception
- Project deliverables and scope were tweaked to ensure smooth functioning and completion over remote
- Expectations were defined with additional clarity; regular touch-ins, weekly calls, mid-point reporting and end-of-project dates were adhered to
- Virtual inductions and student communities were created entirely online
- Webinars were organized with senior leadership of the Tata group including the Chairman
- Candidates were provided access to Tata group personal development webinars, assigned project mentors and buddies – all entirely online. Candidates also had access to structured virtual learning programs and mentorship of leaders from all over the Tata group
What The Candidates Said
Watch the video below.
Use of Technology
The TCS iON platform by Tata Consultancy Services was used extensively to on-board the candidates. The platform included end-to-end student life cycle, including selection, assessments – including asynchronous video interviews, any project specific information that students may need, performance review and more.
The candidates also have a virtual student and an alumni community on this platform.
The Fun Element
Given the sordid Convid-19 related news that was unfolding all over the world, the program took a serious effort at ensuring a casual and fun environment from time to time. These included a ‘Virtual Happy Hours’ hosted by the Tata Global Internship program managers. The candidates will also receive a ‘Care package’ which comprising of thoughtful goodies which are connected to India and the Tata group.
Take a look at some of our first cohort of interns below: