The Tata group’s presence in the region is from the early 1970s, when Tata Precision Engineering was set up in Singapore. Today, the group has over 16 operating companies and employs over 7,000 people in the region. Singapore is a nodal international location for the group with over 3,300 employees.
More group companies are exploring Singapore as a base to grow their international/ASEAN business to leverage the strategic advantages.
- Tata Sons set up its representative office in Singapore for ASEAN region in 2014.
- Group companies have a range of activities in the region including manufacturing, services, projects and financing.
- NatSteel in Singapore has one of the largest single cut-and-bend operations worldwide; Tata Steel is the largest producer of long steel products in Thailand.
- Singapore is the headquarters of Tata Technologies, York Group and Tata NYK Shipping and the regional headquarters of Tata Consultancy Services, for APAC; Tata Communications, Tata Capital, and Tata Chemicals have their international headquarters in Singapore.
- The state-of-the-art Tata Communications Exchange (TCX) data centre in Singapore is built to meet the growing IT outsourcing needs of enterprises.
- Tata Power has made significant investments in coal resources in Indonesia and is developing power generation projects in Indonesia, Myanmar and Vietnam. Tata Power has set-up subsidiaries in Singapore for managing its coal shipping logistics and for international projects.
- Tata Motors has a manufacturing facility in Thailand and York Group has an auto components manufacturing facility in Singapore.
- Several group companies including TCS, Tata Motors, Titan and York market their products and provide services across the ASEAN region.
- JOil, which is a JV with Temasek Life Sciences, has Jatropha research and nursery facilities and plantations in Singapore and Indonesia.
- Tata International trades in energy, metals, agriculture and other commodities in the region.
- Tata Petrodyne has interests in the oil and gas blocks in Indonesia.
- Voltas has executed multiple prestigious turnkey engineering projects in Singapore.
- Tata group has an excellent network of partnerships with local institutions of higher learning, public institutions and community organisations in the region.