November 18, 2018
Prestigious literary awards ceremony at the grand finale of the ninth edition of Tata Literature Live! The Mumbai LitFest
Mumbai: The ninth edition of Tata Literature Live! The Mumbai LitFest, which engaged and enthralled audiences at three venues across Mumbai, struck an inspiring note at its penultimate session this evening. At a grand awards ceremony, the winners of the festival’s prestigious literary awards were announced, and the Tata Steel Literature Live! Poet Laureate Award was conferred on renowned poet Jayanta Mahapatra, who also gave a stirring recitation of some of his poems.
Noted theatre personality Dolly Thakur presenting the joint first prize of The Sultan Padamsee Awards for playwriting in English to Sneh Sapru.
Prasenjit K Basu receives the Tata Literature Live! First Book of the Year Non-fiction Award from renowned filmmaker Shyam Benegal and CEO, Asia Society India, Bunty Chand.
The Tata Literature Live! First Book Award (Fiction) being presented to Shubhangi Swarup by Shefali Balsari-Shah, former head of the English department at St Xavier's College, for her book Latitudes of Longing.
Anuradha Roy receiving the Tata Literature Live! Fiction Book of the Year Award for her book All the Lives We Never Lived from the fiction jury members Soumya Bhattacharya, author and managing editor, Hindustan Times, and Georgina Brown, theatre critic and journalist.
L-R: Ranjit Hoskote, cultural theorist; Harish Bhat, brand custodian, Tata Sons; Tata Steel Literature Live! Poet Laureate awardee, renowned poet Jayanta Mahapatra; Anil Dharker, Tata Literature Live! festival director; and Samita Shah, group head, corporate finance and risk management, Tata Steel.
Sabira Merchant and Kunaal Roy Kapur were among a star cast of Mumbai’s leading actors who read excerpts from plays shortlisted for The Sultan Padamsee Awards for playwriting in English at Tata Literature Live! The Mumbai LitFest 2018. The session was dedicated to the memory of legendary thespian Alyque Padamsee who passed away yesterday.
The Sultan Padamsee Playwriting Awards, instituted to encourage playwriting in English, were also announced.
The literary awards conferred were as follows:
- The Tata Literature Live! Business Book of the Year Award was won by James Crabtree for The Billionaire Raj: A journey through India’s new gilded age .
- The Tata Literature Live! Publisher of the Year Award was given to HarperCollins Publishers India.
- The Tata Literature Live! First Book Award - Fiction was presented to Shubhangi Swarup for her book Latitudes of Longing.
- The Tata Literature Live! First Book Award - Non-Fiction was presented to Prasenjit K Basu for his book Asia Reborn: A continent rises from the ravages of colonialism and war to a new dynamism .
- The Tata Literature Live! Book of the Year Award - Fiction was presented to Anuradha Roy for her book All The Lives We Never Lived.
- The Tata Literature Live! Book of the Year Award - Non-Fiction went to The RSS: A view to the inside by Walter K Andersen and Shridhar D Damle.
- The Tata Trusts’ Big Little Book Award for Authors in Kannada Children’s Literature was presented to prolific author Nagesh Hegde.
- The Tata Trusts’ Big Little Book Award for Illustrators for Children’s Books was presented to artist and professor at the Industrial Design Centre, IIT Bombay, Nina Sabnani.
The first prize for the Sultan Padamsee Playwriting Award was jointly won by Bettina Gracias for her play Watching You and Sneh Sapru for her play Hello Farmaish . The second prize was won by Shiv Tandon for A Fistful of Rupees . The third prize was won by Riti Sachdeva for Parts of Parts. And Stitches.
Tata Literature Live! ran from Thursday 15 through Sunday 18, November, at the National Centre for the Performing Arts, Nariman Point (Nov 15-18); at Prithvi Theatre, Juhu (Nov 17-18); and also at a new, third venue, Title Waves & St Pauls Institute of Communication Education, Bandra (Nov 17-18).
For more details about Tata Literature Live! The Mumbai LitFest 2018, please visit:
- Festival website: www.tatalitlive.in
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TataLitLive
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/TataLitLive
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tatalitlive/
The Tata group is the title sponsor of Tata Literature Live! The Mumbai LitFest, Tata Steel is the co-sponsor and Landmark is the knowledge partner. The festival is conceived by Anil Dharker, founder and festival director of Literature Live!, which organises the festival with the support of the Tata group.