areas of business | corporate sustainability | location
Established in 1962, Tata International (TIL) is the trading arm for Tata group with a presence in manufacturing and distribution for select businesses. Over the years, TIL has formed strong strategic alliances and partnerships that have reinforced its role in international trade and business. The company is supported by a 2,500+ strong employee base across 49 offices spanning more than 35 countries in Africa, Europe, Asia and the US. In FY 2011-12, TIL generated revenues of $900 million, and is estimated to exceed revenues of $1.2 billion by end of FY2012-13.
Areas of business
TIL leverages its global presence, along with sourcing and marketing expertise, to offer a gamut of products and services in the four key verticals it operates in currently:
- Leather and leather products: As India’s leading manufacturer, trader and supply chain integrator of leather and leather products with exports to over 35 countries, TIL's product basket comprises finished leather, women's, men’s and children’s footwear, garments and articles. The company has India’s only facility to manufacture automotive and upholstery leather. Known for its strong quality and customer orientation, TIL has built enduring associations with major global brands such as Marks & Spencer, Gabor, Aerosoles, Zara (for footwear), Nine West and Brown Shoe (for leather), and Mango and Diesel (for leather garments).
Rated as a world-class manufacturer, the company owns state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in India at Chennai and Dewas. It also has a joint venture with Wolverine Worldwide for the distribution of CAT and Merrell brands of footwear in India.
- Metals trading: Supported by global sourcing, distribution and supply chain management of steel and various related products, the metals trading division serves customers across 50 countries.
Key products include steel in various grades and types of flat and long products, pig iron, sponge iron, collector bars (customised engineering products), aluminium bars and module mounting systems.
- Minerals trading: TIL’s minerals trading operations, which commenced in 2011, have already made a mark in regional coal trading. The division aspires to be one of the largest regional coal trading companies in Asia, linking the world’s largest coal consuming countries (China and India) to regional sources of coal.
Key products handled are coal and coke, iron ore, other ores and fluxes, ferro alloys and base metals like nickel, tin, etc. In addition, through its Africa subsidiary, TIL also has interests in a chrome ore mine at Madagascar and in a coal block at Mozambique.
- Distribution: TIL commenced distribution operations in Africa in 1977 and has since evolved as a leading distributor of Tata Motors vehicles in the continent, with operations in more than 11 countries. Through its subsidiary Tata Africa Holdings, TIL has served as the flag bearer of the Tata group in the African continent.
Expanding its current operations to include distribution of construction and farm machinery, the division has long term representation agreements, marketing and distribution tie-ups with reputable manufacturers such as John Deere, Trxbuild and Leeboy.
- Agri trading: In addition to the four core businesses mentioned above, TIL also plans to enter the area of international trade of agri-inputs, commodities and related products.
TIL is committed to being a proactive and responsible member of the community and the environment in which it operates. Stringent goals for the reduction of carbon footprint and greenhouse gases in the leather plant and other facilities, coupled with initiatives for empowering local communities in equal measure, drives the company's long term sustainability agenda. Winner of several prestigious national awards and international certifications for environment and quality, it is also a signatory to the UN Global Compact.
Tata International is headquartered in Mumbai, India.