areas of business | joint ventures, subsidiaries, associates | location
Tata Communications is a leading global provider of telecommunications solutions serving the voice, data and next-generation service needs of carriers, enterprises and consumers across the world.
Earlier known as Videsh Sanchar Nigam, the company became a part of the Tata group in 2002. In 2008, VSNL, VSNL International, Teleglobe, Tata Indicom Enterprise Business Unit, VGSL and CIPRIS were brought under one global brand name – Tata Communications. The company is now the number one global international wholesale voice operator and India's largest provider of international long distance, enterprise data and internet services in India.
Tata’s global network spans five continents and comprises major ownership in over 200,000 km of territorial network fibre and subsea cable capacity. The company has a trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific data transfer capacity of 1 trillion bits per second, a global MPLS network and the world’s largest VoIP network.
Tata Communications was named "Best Wholesale Carrier" at the World Communications Awards in 2006 and "Best Pan-Asian Wholesale Provider" at the 2006 and 2007 Global Wholesale Telecommunications Awards. It is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India and its ADRs are listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: TCL). Tata Communications is a partner of the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF), the pre-eminent industry organization dedicated to facilitating the adoption of Ethernet networks and services.
Areas of business
The company extends its global reach to over 200 countries and territories with more than 300 PoPs and more than one million square feet data centre space worldwide.Its portfolio covers:
Global voice solutions
Carrying over 20 bn minutes of traffic annually, the company's customer base includes over 1500 carriers, mobile operators and ISPs. It provides value-added services such as international toll free calls and account calling in addition to domestic and international long distance calls. Services include:
- Voice termination services
- Mobile Direct
- Global calling cards
Global data solutions
The company serves the connectivity needs of global enterprises and service providers with solutions such as virtual private networks, global ethernet, managed data network services, leased lines, etc. The company also offers customised industry specific solutions and is the leading provider of bandwidth and IP connectivity. Services include:
- Global transmission services
- Global IP and VPN services
- Managed services
- Mobility services
- Transformation services
Joint ventures, subsidiaries, associates
- Tata Communications Lanka offers wholesale, enterprise and retail solutions which include international voice services, international IP bandwidth for internet service providers, international private lease circuit, MPLS-based global VPN services, corporate voice services and their global calling card.
- Tata Communications Banking InfraSolutions (TCBIL) offers solutions that cater to the banking industry which include ATM services, card issuance and management, end-to-end point of sale acquiring and hosted core banking.
- Tata Communications Transformations Services delivers end-to-end outsourcing services for global carrier and telecommunications customers.
- Neotel (South Africa) provides a range of value-added voice and data services for businesses, wholesale network operators, providers and consumers using its pure-IP next generation network.
- Tata Communications Internet Services serves over 4,50,000 customers offering services like broadband, Wi-Fi, dial up and a bouquet of value-added services such as entertainment-on-demand, interactive education, net telephony, PC security and website hosting.
The company’s headquarters is in Mumbai, India, and it has significant international operations in New Jersey, Montreal, Singapore and London. It has offices in 80 cities across 40 countries.