October 03, 2013
Voltas all-weather ACs win yet another international goldMumbai : Voltas's 'All Weather' marketing and advertising walked away with a gold at the Asia Awards of the World Advertising Research Centre (WARC), held in Singapore.
The WARC Prize for Asian Strategy is Asia's premier competition honouring 'inspirational strategic thinking that drives marketing and business performance', as submitted in the form of case studies.
This year marks the very first time that the WARC gold has been captured by any Indian organisation or brand. It's also one of just four golds awarded across all Asia.
This year's awards were somewhat dominated by India, from which came 52 of the 144 total entries, and also 16 of the 38 that made it to the shortlist. All submissions were judged on various criteria:
- Quality of insight behind the strategy. Does the case study show an in-depth understanding of the brand and its market? What steps did the entrants take to find new insight, or to look at existing information in a new light? (15 percent)
- Quality of strategic thinking. Does the case study show a strategic ‘leap’ that others have not taken? Did it produce a strong idea that could be turned into effective marketing activity? (40 percent)
- How well was the strategic idea brought to life, including creative work and channel thinking? (15 percent)
- How did the strategy perform against its objectives? Does the case study show that the investment in strategy was worthwhile? (20 percent)
- Can other marketers learn from this case study? Is it a useful addition to Asia’s body of marketing knowledge? (10 percent)
Voltas's gold was in the special award category of 'Local Hero', covering national brands. Other categories were:
- 'Asia First', won by O&M Thailand with Thai Health Promotion Foundation.
- 'Cultural Connection', won by Wieden+Kennedy with Mindshare and Nike (China).
- 'Channel Insight', won by O&M Bangalore with Once AGain (India).
- 'Market Pioneer', won by DDB DM8 JaymeSyfu with Smart Communications (Philippines).
Gold awards were also won by:
- Nestle (Malaysia) with O&M Kuala Lumpur.
- Procter & Gamble's Gillete, with BBDO China.
Says Pradeep Bakshi, president & COO,Unitary Products Business Group, Voltas, "For me and the entire team, this award is further proof that our 'All-Weather' AC is not just a world-class offering, but also backed by marketing and brand support of international calibre."