January 31, 2003
News from TACO GroupTaco Tooling Business Unit (TTBU), business unit of the Tata AutoComp Systems Group (TACO), has bagged the first sheet metal die design order from the Detroit based Nucleon Inc. The pilot order is for three dies worth USD 9,000. Nucleon intents to source ten die designs from TTBU every month.
Tata Toyo Radiator
- Tata Toyo has commenced bulk supplies of heater cores to Subros. The heater core will be fitted on Maruti Suzuki models Alto, WagonR and Versa. It will be extended to the Zen at a later stage.
- Three new vehicles of Ashok Leyland (AL 2516 Cargo, AL 2516VRL, AL 1616 -H BS II Hino) were launched in December 2002, with a Tata Toyo engine cooling package.
- Cummins India has confirmed their first order for the engine cooling package for 140 KVA, 180 KVA & 200 KVA gensets.
- Rising Sun Taiwan has confirmed five new core orders. The cores will be supplied for Honda, GM and Chrysler models.
- Honda has awarded Tata Toyo a Certificate of Appreciation for Cost for the successful localisation of key radiator child parts.
- The BVQI has recommended Tata Toyo for the ISO 14001 (1996) Certifications.
Automotive Composite Systems International (ACSI)
- ACSI participated in the Technology Day held at Tata Engineering in December 2002. The inaugural ceremony was attended by Dr Sumantran, Mr Telang, Mr Arya, and Mr Chakraborty. ACSI had displayed both imported and indigenous parts. Dr Sumantran was impressed by the parts and an on-the-spot decision was taken to explore the use of SMC (sheet molded composites) as an alternative to thermoplastic, sheet metal and aluminium. This initiative will go a long way in sustaining the development of business with Tata Engineering
- ACSI has received an order from Cummins India, Kothrud, Pune, for the design, tooling development and supplies of two components, rocker cover and camshaft cover. Both the parts have export potential as they also used by Cummins Inc, Worldwide
- ACSI has been given the QS 9000:1998 and ISO 9001 - 1994 certifications. The QS 9000 journey started in May 2002 and was achieved in October 2002 when the final certification audit was conducted by Underwriter Laboratory (UL) India.
Tata Johnson Controls Automotive Ltd (TJC)Mr Jack K. Hall, vice president - engineering, Asia-Pacific, JCI, inaugurated the new expanded office of TJCs engineering centre at Sohrab Hall, Pune, recently. Mr Gupta, managing director, Tata Autocomp Systems and other senior managers were also present at the function.
The TJC Community Development Group took up a number of community development initiatives:
- Tree plantation was initiated at Hinjewadi Vithoba Temple where 25 plants of different varieties were planted and 60 employees participated in the activity. The plants will be taken care of by the TJC community development group
- A drawing competition for first year students of Hinjewadi School was conducted to enable students to work creatively and espouse more interest in fun along with study. The winners were given prizes by the village sarpanch. TJC employees also stitched 60 sitting mats out of scrap fabric for the use of these students. Earlier, the students were sitting on the tiled floor which gets very cold during winter.
TJC's Chennai plant organised a Quarterly Continuous Improvement Presentation (Oct-Dec'02) on January 18, 2003. All team members were encouraged to present the improvement initiatives implemented in their areas. The Dagenham Trophy for Continuous Improvement was won by "Seat Assembly" for the improvements shown in the area of productivity through 5S improvements and ergonomics. The runner-up was the "Maintenance Team" which effected improvements in the area of cost reduction and on the steamer.
TACO SCM has received a repeat order from its first customer, Garrett Engine Boosting Systems, a division of Honeywell. The order is for a set of high precision leaded bronze bearings, a high precision component of turbochargers.
Tata Auto Plastic Systems(TAPS)
The plant and the export-oriented unit of Tata Auto Plastic Systems was formally inaugurated by Mr R. Gopalakrishnan, executive director, Tata Sons, in January 2003. The occasion is a significant event in the history of the company, which has successfully delivered value to its stakeholders for the last three years.